Sunday, January 04, 2009

...and on politically correctness

"I used to think I was poor. Then they told me I wasn't poor, I was needy. Then they told me it was self-defeating to think of myself as needy. I was deprived. (Oh not deprived but rather underprivileged.) Then they told me that underprivileged was overused. I was disadvantaged.
I still don't have a dime. But I have a great vocabulary." -Jules Feiffer

Why do we spend so much time hiding behind words instead of taking responsibility for our circumstances?

In all my years in Africa I never met a black person that was not proud of being black, despite his or her circumstances. However, I have met many whites that are not proud of being white.

In 2009, let us not focus on defining our differences and rather focus on what we all can do to make progress. Don't let the few that use differences between us as a weapon, distract us from making progress and making a better world. The future is about being responsible and not lamenting circumstances.

No comments: