Monday, January 14, 2008

The US elections

This weekend I heard President Bush speak in Dubai. I have got to the stage when I think he says what he says to convince himself! His comment about dealing with Iran "before it is too late" left me thinking, what is "too late"? Does he mean before he leaves office?

As someone who travels the world, I am amazed at how little the President really understands about the culture of the people in the Middle East and the issues there. Does he not realize how foolish he makes the United States appear when he speaks the way he does? The greatest thing I can see coming out of the Bush administration will be the young people who will vote in the elections this year.

I am not sure they want change as much as to make sure the same mistake is not made again. Nobody believes that Government will change but at least they want people that will not be irrational and fundamentalist in their approaches.

What an interesting year it will be. I believe that there has never been a recession in an election year. There are also a whole bunch of first time voters that have never worked in an economy that is so slow!

Obama speaks of "hope". I think people are looking for competence combined with integrity.
Romney thinks that because he has been successful in business, he can be successful as President! He creates the impression of a competent manager when people are looking for a competent leader.

What a great start to what will turn out to be one of the most interesting elections in the history of United States.

No comments: