Saturday, March 28, 2009

Every once and a while you come across something outstanding and what really hits you about it is that it is so simple.

I was flying to Abu Dhabi with Etihad Airlines from Heathrow airport. I had apprehension because I had never flown with Etihad before. When I arrived at the check-in desk I was immediately welcomed by Faika who introduced me to Andrew behind the desk. My check-in was the best I have ever experienced. Faika talked to me while Andrew checked me in and got me the seat I wanted.

I went off to the lounge and when it came time to go to the gate, I got up and packed away my computer. Suddenly Faika was beside me and she told me not to rush as there was plenty of time. She told me to sit and relax and she will come and get me when it was time to go to the gate. She was so helpful and made sure I was looked after up until I was ready to board.

The flight was very good, the plane was excellent, clean, tidy and people were very efficient.

I can honestly say that this was the best experience I have ever had on an airline at any time. And it was not rocket science. It was simply a matter of making me feel connected to them in a positive way. I felt they cared.

My experience at the Intercontinental Hotel at Abu Dhabi immediately brought me back to earth with a bump. I was shocked at how they got the simple things so wrong and ruined my experience of the hotel.

It is not the expensive things that make a difference, it is the little things that make a massive difference in our business relationships.

Thanks Etihad and a special thanks to Faika. Sorry Intercontinental, but you have a nice hotel but not the experience that makes me want to come back.

No comments: