Thursday, October 09, 2008

Airports in London and Washington

I am mortified at two major airports in what are meant to be two of the major world countries. I am referring to London Heathrow and Washington Dullas airports.
I have been through both of them in the last couple of weeks and I am amazed. Washington Dullas is so old fashioned and dark. I waited by the gate for my flight to Toronto and looked around me. The ceiling was low, the lighting was very poor and the facilities were nearly non existent. Anyone that has been there will know about the vehicles that transport you from one terminal to another which look like something that belongs on the moon.
Heathrow is always an embarrassment. Without fail, every time I land at least one of the moving escalators are not working, the internal partitions are made of cardboard and the staff are simply NOT interested. I now find out that BAA (the airport authority that manages the airport) switches off all plug points so that the public cannot charge up their laptop or phone. They switch them on at night so the cleaners can wander around with a vacuum cleaner on!!! It is that sort of mentality that makes for the the current staff morale and poor services.
Come on guys, this is the first (and last) impression that thousands of people have of Britain and USA. BAA should be replaced for someone who has some pride in London and United Kingdom as well as some business sense.

No comments: