Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Best Buy's new CEO

Newsweek did a great interview with Best Buy's new CEO Brian Dunn. It is worth reading at http://www.newsweek.com/id/165379

My thoughts are Dunn is making all the right noises. However, my experience is nowhere near his comments. Having had a bad customer experience in a Best Buy four years ago, I vowed never to go back. I relented a couple of months ago and went in to buy the new FlipHD camera. The young lady that served me was so unhelpful that I was dumbfounded. I asked if they had one for sale and she said, "I think we sold out". I had to ask her to please look for me. She went to the cupboards under the display and rummaged around each one. Finally she said, "No, we are sold out". I asked her to open the first one again and pointed to a box at the front and said "isn't that the FlipHD?". She picked it up and then said "Oh, well this must be the last one".

I had to tell her how to find it on the system to get the price. Had I not been desperate and in a hurry, I would have walked out.

So Brian's comments, "[Not] all retailers are customer centric, and I think on our best days we are. People get it confused with customer service … For me, customer centricity is taking you as a human being—your wants, needs, desires—and creating solutions." left me wondering if I just had Best Buy on a bad day. Twice!!! I don't think so.

He goes on to say, "There is intrinsic value in every single human being that works for you. One of the sayings I use is that 'Together, we're a group of ordinary people who, when we really come together, can accomplish extraordinary things.'" I think that this is wonderful statement and a brilliant philosophy. I wonder if his managers really understand the wisdom of those words?

Newsweek asked: "When store managers are failing, what's the most common problem, and how do you decide if they can be rehabilitated?"

Brian's reply: "My primary focus is whether they're learning: Are they repeating mistakes? Are the mistakes a result of an error in judgment? Are the mistakes the result of not being interested in creating an environment where people can make a difference? You can teach your way through errors in judgment, but having a lack of interest in creating an environment where people matter is very, very difficult to overcome."

I really want to believe that. I really hope Brian Dunn has the drive to push that philosophy through his company. Best Buy has such great potential but could be soooo much better and it has the ability to be a role model to the retail industry if it figures out the basics. Brian Dunn strikes me as someone that really does want to create this type of organization. I wonder if he can really get his philosophy down to the lowest level of the business? I hope so.

At least his words have me thinking I won't wait another four years to go back. Maybe I will go again later this year!

No comments: