Friday, April 03, 2009

The two faces of Ryanair

I went to Dublin to speak this week. The trip was planned with Ryanair who is not an airline I have traveled with before. I am always wary of these airlines that do it on the cheap because they typically have a "cheap" mentality.

I was very surprised to arrive at East Midlands airport and get a friendly and helpful ground staff. The sign clearly said, 'one hand luggage' and I had two items but they were both small and together did not add up to the size of one bag. They also had sensitive electronic equipment in them and so I was expecting to be challenged, but they looked at the size and obviously realized that they were small and it did not matter. I was impressed.

On board I was delighted with the wonderful and friendly cabin crew who, despite being busy, were prepared to chat and we had some good dialogue all the way to Dublin. I left the plane really pleased.

Yesterday I returned to Dublin airport for my 2pm flight. What a difference!!!! Ground crew that told me off for the two bags (the same bags) and seem to want to dare me to be difficult with them. Anyway, I got past that and on board. Wow, what a difference. Senior cabin crew member Chloe was obviously having a bad day. Even the other crew members were wary of her. I spoke nicely to her and got a curt reply. I tried again later and got an even shorter reply.

She spent most of the flight scribbling some notes. It was clear that there was something she wasn't happy about and she was writing her notes up. Flippant comments like "if she thinks she can throw her weight around, she has another think coming"...... Then she was telling the others what to do while she filled out her reports and paperwork. As passengers we were smiling at each other and even at other crew members and raising our eyebrows. I looked at her and thought what a difference one person makes. In her faded uniform, torn under the arms and hem half down with a massive attitude and chip on her shoulder, she broke the experience I had with Ryanair.

I was glad to get to the airport and leave. I felt sorry for her colleagues who were obviously uncomfortable with her behavior. I would have paid more for a smile and a better attitude.

No comments: