Sunday, August 27, 2006

A visit to Gold Fields South Africa


Meeting Ian Cockerill, CEO of Gold Fields SA

I wasn’t sure what I was expecting when I arrived at Gold Fields Head Office to meet the CEO, Ian Cockerill. I was shown into a room, which I took to be the Board Room with a painting of Cecil John Rhodes on one wall and a photo of Nelson Mandella on another wall.



Ian walked through the door and I was immediately struck by the warmth of this man. He was welcoming and within minutes he was showing me around the room explaining the history of Gold Fields and what this room, in particular, represented.

Gold Fields will be 120 years old in February and the history of those years is etched into this room in simple things that denote landmarks or points in time. The latest is a cheque on the wall for R4.1 billion which was the result of the black empowerment transaction, which ensured that 15% of the company was owned by previously disadvantaged people in South Africa.

A year ago this company was in the middle of fighting off a hostile takeover from Harmony. The battle consumed the headlines for over 7 months in a very public and aggressive attack by Harmony. I was here to find out from this man how his leadership style had needed to be adapted, and what he had learnt. I also wanted to know how he saw the future of leadership in the face of ‘going global’.

I found my interview with Ian extremely interesting as he explained the approach he and his team had taken. He explained how he had prepared, the approach he had decided to take and the impact on him and his family. Here was a man that personified one of the characteristics of real leaders – his ability to learn from what happens and move on.

Ian believes the team is stronger and wiser, although a little cynical as a result of their experience. He explained that you see the worst side of people and life in these situations, which makes you a little cynical. But, in no way was I led to believe that this was anything but a healthy cynicism that will add to his and his teams ability to lead Gold Fields in the future.

Ian is a man I could talk to for hours because of his insightful mind, his grasp and perspective on business and the way the world is moving. I think I found in Ian a kindred spirit because he is also interested in Leadership.

I thank Ian for allowing me the opportunity to ask him some questions and in particular for sharing his passion with me, as well as his experiences.

Most of all I want to wish Gold Fields a very Happy Birthday for February.

No comments: